Marcola School District, Always Striving for Excellence
The Marcola School District has made tremendous progress toward developing students, staff and community to become a district in constant pursuit of excellence in education. As the Superintendent of the Marcola School District, I am proud to represent a community that supports youth as their number one priority. The support we have received in the last three years has helped our district enrollment increase by over one hundred students! I believe the increase in enrollment is directly connected to the accomplishments listed below:
- Our community and district accepted and supported a proficiency based model of education. One that focuses on: “Time is the variable and learning is the constant” (Our graduation rate has improved by 30%)
- Our community passed a 7.8 million dollar bond for a new elementary school to replace an old dilapidated building and provide a safe and productive environment for our youth.
- Our district financially supported an investment into Career Technology Education (CTE) which has allowed us to increase our CTE pathway programs from 0 in 2014 to 5 in 2018. The programs are: Agriculture, Construction, Engineering, Health Occupations and Computer Science.
- Students can now access technology at anytime from anywhere. Four years ago, our students could only access technology from the tech lab. We are now 1:1 technology for all students.
- We followed through with the community need to have small class sizes and no combined grade levels in one class at the elementary. Elementary is now grades K-5 and average class size is 1-20.
- Implemented a Robotics program that has competed at the state, national and world level.
- We caught up on Deferred Maintenance Projects that were necessary for the high school. Paint the exterior, new roof, new boilers, new gutters, new gym floor.
- Marcola School District was the second district in the state of Oregon to accept and complete a system wide AdvancEd Accreditation – a National Accreditation for quality schools.
- Worked together in a collaborative model to change our mascot from the Indian to the Mustang – a 3 year process.
- Created and implemented a new Alternative Program – TEACH NorthWest (TNW) to provide an alternative education that meets the diverse needs of our diverse learners.
- Implemented a K-12 Behavior Support Program to provide services for teachers and students for classroom management and individualized student behavior support plans.
- Implemented an online learning curriculum to increase course offerings for all students K-12. The online courses allow Marcola Middle and High School students to access as many if not more courses than any large high/middle school.
- Implemented a variety of clubs such as Robotics and FFA. Robotics club has competed at the National level last year and has already qualified for Nationals this year. FFA has competed and performed well in all statewide FFA competitions. (This year Robotics has expanded to the elementary school, we now have students in the 3rd grade and above participating in robotics)
- Increased (each year) the number of students participating in extra-curricular activities.
- Most importantly – we have teachers and staff who genuinely care about students and understand that the curriculum and instruction delivered must be differentiated to the individual needs of each child.
Marcola School District is now known as a very innovative school district providing instructional programs that are engaging and thoughtful to the needs of all learners. We are a continuous improvement school district that focuses on improving the systems that have a direct impact on student learning. Although we have made huge improvements in the last four years, we are not perfect, we will always be striving for excellence.
If you are currently enrolled in the Marcola School District we hope you are satisfied with the results of the last 4 years. Whether you are or not, we always appreciate your feedback to help us continue our goal of striving for excellence. For more information on our school district or to add comments and suggestions please access our web-site at marcola.k12.or.us, our Facebook site, send me an email at email@example.com or call the school district at 541-933-2512.
Thank you community, staff and students for working together as a team to make tremendous progress toward creating an excellent school district.
Marcola School District