Marcola School Board Meeting Minutes
October 9, 2017 6:00 pm
The current meeting agenda items are listed below. If you would like to bring an issue before the board please attend this meeting or a future meeting.
Meeting Called to Order
Announce the tape recording of the meeting
Pledge of Allegiance
Vision Statement: Students, Staff and Community Dedicated to Excellence
Mission Statement: The Marcola School District promotes academic excellence, ethical and responsible citizenship for all its students in a safe, supportive and enriched learning environment.
Welcome and Introduction of Special Guests **
Lon Laughlin made a motion to approve the Consent Agenda. Jim Smith seconded the vote. The vote to approve was unanimous.
- Budget Financial Summary
- Check Register Check Register Capital Projects
Approve Board Meeting Minutes
Lon Laughlin made a motion to approve the September 11, 2017 Meeting Minutes. Jim Smith seconded the motion. The vote to approve was unanimious.
- September 11, 2017
Petitions and Requests
John Etheredge spoke in reference to the mascot. Leroy Robinson spoke in reference to the mascot. Bill Watkins spoke in reference to the mascot.
- Student Council Report * Alaura Taylor gave a report on the Student Council activities.
- Addendum to Superintendent's Contract *Jim Smith made a motion to delete the “no insurance” clause from the Superintendent’s Contract and insert $1255.00 cap on medical, dental, vision benefits. Bob Leeper seconded the motion. The vote to approve was unanimous. (Goals and Contract Addendum)
- Ellen Furstner policy*Bill Watkins stated that OSBA recommends a resolution. Laurie Smart recommends a separation of resolution and policy info. Laurie Smart will be working with Ellen Furstner with the above mentioned recommendations.
- Board Member Resignation (Determine procedures for filling the vacancy)*Jim Smith made a motion to accept the resignation of Eric Stevenson and declare a vacancy on the Marcola School District Board. Lon Laughlin seconded the motion. The vote to approve was unanimous.
- Charter School Policy - Approval *Bill Watkins read over information in the policy. He stated that it will be brought back in November for approval. He also stated that we will provide the Board with quarterly reports. (1 & 2 )
- Facilities *Bill Watkins stated that many projects have been completed and that we will continue to move forward. (Updates)
- Strategic Planning*Bill Watkins stated that there will be data reported in November. [Goals (Quarterly Data)]
- Alternative Funding*Bill Watkins stated that the focus is on the CTE Grant. (CTE Revitalization Grant)
- Alternative Education*Phil Johnson discussed the online/alternative learning program. (Charter School Update) (TNW - Home School)
Tami White reported on the elementary activities.
- Bargaining Agreements *Bill Watkins gave a brief overview of the Certified Negotiated Agreement.
- Regular Board Meeting November 13, 2017 6:00 pm
- Elementary Parent/Teacher Conferences October 12, 2017 1:00 pm to 7:00 pm
- MS/HS Parent/Teacher Conferences November 9, 2017 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm
* Board Action
** Please note that people may address the School Board about any topic relevant to the District. Each speaker is limited to 5 minutes per board meeting within the 20 minutes allotted for Petitions & Requests. We ask speakers to remember that Oregon law prohibits the Board from discussing specific employees or students or their performance. Speakers will state their full name and the topic of comment.